Thursday, October 21, 2010

Chip me NOT!

Here is an email that I recently sent to the people behind the website http://www.chipmenot.org/.  These wonderful people suggest that pet microchips cause cancer.

Hi

I would like to thank you for the great job that you’re doing in spreading the word about microchips.

Forget about science or facts or proving anything, it is a far better approach to just use great headlines and fear to get your message across to the ignorant public. Good job!

I especially like the photos of the microchips in the tumors. That definitely proves causality! And those mice studies are very convincing because we all know what happens in a tumor-prone rodent must also happen to our beloved pets.

As a veterinarian, I haven’t seen a tumor-inducing microchip in the 16 years that I have been in clinical practice but that doesn’t mean it won’t happen. From this point forward, I will stop recommending those darn cancer-causing transmitters. Instead, I will teach my patients to pick up the phone and dial 911 whenever they get lost.

Oh but wait, I can’t have the pets call 911. Cell phones cause brain cancer! I know I read that somewhere. Damnit.

This can only mean that shelters will see an increase in lost pets and have to euthanize a lot more—but if this is the cost of waging war against cancer in .00008% of the population, then I’m all for it!

You truly must be animal lovers.

God bless,


Dr. C

No comments: