Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Memories of Savannah

I was in Savannah, Georgia last week for a veterinary seminar.  I learned the proper way to amputate a penis.

But enough of the exciting stuff.

Savannah is one of my favourite places in the world.  There is something really charming about a place where strangers say hello as they pass on the street, people dress up for church, kids fly kites in the park and the beautiful squares are filled with old trees draped with Spanish moss.

And you can drink beer or liquor in public places.  Score for the homeless drunks!  

The food is great too if you like large portions of the really fattening stuff.  I usually try to make it to Mrs. Wilkes' Dining Room for some fried chicken, black eyed peas and collards but I missed my chance this visit.  Something to look forward to next time.

As always, I had some observations as I was strolling around town.  And I strolled A LOT.  Most of my time (when I wasn't learning about medicine and surgery) was spent walking around town and I didn't once get bored.  There was always so much to see and it was all free.

So these were some of the thoughts that filled my head ...

  •    Paula Deen's restaurant is overrated but if you are a woman older than 60 and LOVE Paula, then you should probably eat there.  


  • If you sit long enough in one of the squares, someone will eventually sit down and talk with you and the conversation will likely revolve around God and money.  


  • The Hilton deSoto is a terrible eyesore in the historic district and it's criminal that a beautiful old hotel was demolished on the same site.  


  • I am not a fan of soft shell crabs.  When I ate them, I kept thinking that they weren't that good and their lives were in vain.  


  • Savannah is a place where a lot of wives drag their reluctant husbands.  And sometimes their even more reluctant teenage sons.  


  • I've seen Miss Chablis and she truly cannot lip sync to save her life.  


  • How is it possible that two different taxi drivers tried to rip me off?  For the record, it's a $28 flat fee from the historic district to the airport.  


  • Five Guys Burger and Fries make really good burgers that probably taste a lot better when it's 2am and you're still drunk.  


  • They should put a bench in the same place where Forrest Gump sat.  It would be crazy popular.  


  • Savannah at night is truly scary.  I was so freaked out the first night I woke up in a cold sweat thinking that some entity was in my room and staring at me. I'm not convinced that it didn't happen.  


  • Fried green tomatoes are much better than they sound.  


  • There are four types of people in Savannah; SCAD (Savannah College of Art and Design) students, tourists, homeless looking people who may or may not be homeless and rich looking business people who may or may not be rich business people.  


  • Don't put Savannah Bee Honey in your carry-on luggage.  They will take it away.  Bastards.  


  • Is is so wrong that I saw a powder blue seersucker suit and wanted to buy it?  


  • Leopold's ice cream was my most exciting discovery on this trip.  
If you have never been to Savannah, I strongly encourage you to go.  Make sure you stay at a B&B (and be prepared to pay for it) and eat lots and walk lots and try to meet as many interesting people as you can.  


And have fun!

No comments: