Anyone who has ever written anything knows that 20% of the time is spent writing, 50% of the time is spent coming up with something important enough to say and and the last 30% of the time is spent on other stuff.
This other stuff isn't wasted energy. In fact, I consider it down time for my conscious mind while my subconscious mind is quietly working to come up with something brilliant when I start typing again. It's not a perfect system; there is no way to know that my subconscious is in fact working and quite frankly, I'm a little suspicious that it takes a lot of time off too. But that's the way I work.
So here is the other stuff that I do when I'm not at my desk staring at the computer screen until my eyeballs bleed:
• Check email to see if I have new spam from TripAdvisor
• Bite fingernails
• Check out http://www.awkwardfamilyphotos.com/
• Watch Charlie Bit My Finger on YouTube. Again
• See what other photos have posted to the National Geographic Photo competition. World in Focus
• Cat naps
• Hug geriatric Pekingese
• Try to win a chance to see Nancy Grace Win a chance to see Nancy Grace!
• Worry about work
• Develop another get-rich-quick-scheme
• Buy a new iPhone ap
• Plan next vacation
• Try to get Saturday Night Live Tickets for the 2010-2011 season www.nbc.com/tickets/
• Think about lunch and when lunch is over, think about dinner
• Check out the latest disaster on CNN.com
• Struggle with buying the iPhone 4. Should I or shouldn’t I?
• Think of new topics for my blogs
• Go to Starbucks and people watch
• Watch the cat next door
• Listen to the loud music blaring from my neighbor's apartment and wish that they would die in a fiery hell
• Drink tea
• Add to my Netflix queue
• Learn phrases in Khmer (language of Cambodia)
• Learn phrases in Korean
• Read Entertainment Weekly (usually in the bathroom)
• Stretch. Try to touch my toes
• Bid for useless item on eBay
• See what is in the fridge
• See who is in rehab on TMZ.com
• Call mom and dad
• Scribble down random thoughts that might be useful later
• Google my name. See what other Phil Caldwells are doing
• Come up with reasons why I should cancel my Facebook account
• and Dream as if it is all going to happen someday
Now you know why I never get any writing done!!